I am a product management leader with a background in cloud services. I have also led product marketing and business development teams, and contributed individually as a developer and systems/network administrator.
I have been fortunate to work at industry leading companies with excellent teammates to launch IaaS, SaaS, and consumer app services deployed to Web, iOS, and Android platforms. I enjoy roles where I can function both as a team leader and as an individual contributor.
As a product manager I have introduced pioneering cloud services to market, including several of the first commercial CDN services. I have also led the product management of consumer mobile apps (free and paid subscription) currently used by hundreds of thousands of users.
As a product marketer I have launched new developer products for managed kubernetes, object storage, high performance cloud servers, and cloud networking.
As a developer I have built and launched mobile apps, backend cloud services, and used container and cluster technologies to more easily deploy services.
Head of Product Management, Universal Tennis (2019-present)
Universal Tennis is a start-up based in Palo Alto with a small team of ~90 employees. Our investors include several leaders in tennis including Roger Federer's Team8, Novak Djokovic, Larry Ellison, the Tennis Channel, Tennis Australia, and most recently Amazon Prime Video.
I lead a team of product managers developing both consumer and business services for players, coaches, and club owners to participate in the Universal Tennis marketplace.
I am also the lead product manager for strategic products including the Universal Tennis iOS app which was launched in early 2022. I worked with a team of stakeholders and users to collect requirements, developed wireframes, and partnered with designers and developers to create our MVP and 1+ releases. We now have over 250K users in our mobile apps which account for over 60% of new paid subscribers. Our app consistently ranks in the top 45-50 of all sports apps in the Apple App Store, with an app rating of 4.7+.
I am currently the lead product manager of our next strategic product, which is a new service to enable new types of team leagues.
Head of Product Marketing, DigitalOcean (2017-2018)
DigitalOcean is a cloud platform for developers, with a focus on independent developers and those servicing SMBs. DigitalOcean is known for providing the most simple and developer friendly cloud services, and I was recruited to establish the product marketing function.
I worked with product managers and stakeholders to create simple and relevant product messaging and marketing artifacts, and successfully launched several new developer services including
- DigitalOcean Kubernetes - a managed Kubernetes service
- Spaces object storage - an S3-compatible object store with built in CDN
- CPU-Optimized Droplets - an expansion of DigitalOcean's core product line of cloud servers for specific CPU-intensive use cases
- Cloud Firewalls - a simple way to control traffic in and out of your hosted cloud services on DigitalOcean
Founder/Developer at Sportler Technologies, LLC (2016-2019)
As a side project which initially started as a prototype to illustrate a better way for tennis players to schedule their tennis, I ultimately tinkered my way into creating a full fledged production iOS app, API service, and scalable database to make tennis scheduling a three tap exercise on your phone.
Sportler was a native iOS app and cloud service to save players time, manage confirmations, and encourage group sport activities.
I developed the iOS app in swift, and built the backend using the open source Parse server with various node.js libraries. The data was stored in mongoDB and hosted with mLab. I used Docker to make development and deployment easier, and deployed on Google Cloud and Amazon EC2. Amazon S3 was used for storage and Route53 for DNS. I used Mixpanel and Google Analytics to understand user behavior, and several other technologies to accelerate development & deployment.
VP Product Management at NeuStar, Inc. (2014-2015)
Recruited by their CEO to transform the legacy telecom services company into a cloud infrastructure and information services company. Accountable for Product Management of Cloud Security and Performance services. Managed products for DNS, DDoS mitigation, and Web Performance Management. Recruited top Product Management talent into organization.
- Led product lines that contributed $102M+ in revenue, including the company's highest revenue growth products with ~70% YoY growth
- Developed product strategy to align and maximize value of Neustar’s information, security and performance services.
- Managed products that protect availability and performance of many leading online brands.
Principal at Harbin Consulting (2012-2013)
Provided product strategy, business development, and program management services to technology service companies. Projects have included strategic program development for Akamai working with Apple, and product strategy for startups.
Senior Product Line Director at Akamai (2007-2011)
Product Group Management for multiple Akamai product lines, i.e. media, software, and game delivery. Products included HTTP Downloads, Download Manager, Open Video Player (Flash, Silverlight, iOS), and all P2P content delivery initiatives.
- Product lines contributed $220M+ in annual revenue, including the first Akamai products to deploy software on user devices to improve performance and efficiency of content delivery to users.
- Developed products that improved quality and lowered cost to deliver HD quality video on the Internet.
Senior Director Business Development at Akamai (2003-2007)
Led business development relationships and integration of acquired technologies into Akamai product portfolio.
- Developed strategic partnerships with large enterprises, such as Apple, Microsoft, and Adobe to bring high quality content delivery to the Web.
Director Product Marketing and Management at Akamai (1999-2003)
Team lead of multiple products through product lifecycle, i.e. performed market research and analysis, proposed and executed product strategy and plan, created product positioning, executed press outreach, product profitability management, facilitated sales training, supported sales in key accounts, and supported operations teams.
- Product launches included Akamai’s first commercial product, FreeFlow, as well as launches of EdgeScape (IP geo-location), Enhanced DNS (authoritative DNS) and Akamai’s then most successful product – EdgeSuite (full content delivery including streaming, dynamic web pages, and software downloads).
- Introduced Content Delivery to early website developers and operators that required Web scalability.
Sr. Manager Professional Services at Verizon Business (1998-1999)
Led Web Site Management Group (WSMG) Professional Services team offering enterprise customers with custom design, development, and implementation services for their hosted web sites.
Technology Manager at Accenture (Andersen Consulting) (1993-1998)
- Manager, Communications Industry Group; managed requirements team for key features of Iridium Project.
- Manager, Technology Group for Verizon LiveWire Project.
- Software development; developed testing tools and operations architecture for large distributed application.
- Software design; designed interface to AT&T Test Data Integration Layer (TDIL) system and parts of interface to Bellcore Service Order Assignment and Control (SOAC) system.
- Team Lead; Led team in testing distributed system; defined test model and managed test cycle execution.
- System and Network Administration; oversaw mixed environment of UNIX and Windows workstations.
- George Mason University
- BS, MIS with honors
- Scholar Athlete, Men's Tennis
- Mobile and server side application development
- Finding new technologies that help developers create great products more quickly
- Coaching (baseball, tennis)