I am a product, marketing and business development executive specializing in cloud infrastructure services. As a product manager I have introduced new cloud services to market and have led product organizations. As a business development executive I have established productive partnerships to grow market share and accelerate revenue growth. As a developer I have launched mobile apps and built backend cloud services.
Director of Product Marketing at DigitalOcean (2017-present)
DigitalOcean is a cloud computing platform built for developers and their teams to simplify infrastructure, freeing up developer time to focus on building great software.
I'm responsible for building out and executing the product marketing function and GTM plan for DigitalOcean products. Recent product launches have included DigitalOcean Kubernetes, a new object storage product called DigitalOcean Spaces, a new CPU optimized product line call Optimized Droplets, a simplified firewall service called Cloud Firewalls, and updates to several other DigitalOcean products and features.
Founder/Developer at Sportler Technologies, LLC (2016-present)
Sportler is a native iOS app and cloud service that simplifies sports event scheduling to a few taps. Sportler saves players time, manages confirmations, and encourages group sport activities.
I developed the native iOS app and backend service. The iOS app is developed in swift, and I developed the backend using the open source Parse server and various node.js libraries. The data is stored in mongoDB and hosted with mLab. Faster development and deployment is enabled through the use of docker containers which are deployed on google cloud computing and amazon EC2, and I use amazon S3 for storage and Route53 for DNS. I'm using both Mixpanel and Google Analytics to understand end user behavior, and several other technologies to accelerate development & deployment.
VP Product Management at NeuStar, Inc. (2014-2015)
Recruited by CEO to transform legacy telecom services company into a cloud infrastructure and information services company. Accountable for Product Management of Cloud Security and Performance services. Managed products for DNS, DDoS mitigation, and Web Performance Management. Recruited top Product Management talent into organization.
- Led product lines that contributed $102M+ in revenue, including the company's highest revenue growth products with ~70% YoY growth
- Developed product strategy to align and maximize value of Neustar’s information, security and performance services.
- Managed products that protect availability and performance of many leading online brands.
Principal at Harbin Consulting (2012-2013)
Provide product strategy, business development, and program management services to technology service companies. Projects have included strategic program development for Akamai working with Apple, and product strategy for startups.
Senior Product Line Director at Akamai (2007-2011)
Product Group Management for multiple Akamai product lines, i.e. media, software, and game delivery. Products included HTTP Downloads, Download Manager, Open Video Player (Flash, Silverlight, iOS), and all P2P content delivery initiatives.
- Product lines contributed $220M+ in annual revenue, including the first Akamai products to deploy software on user devices to improve performance and efficiency of content delivery to users.
- Developed products that improved quality and lowered cost to deliver HD quality video on the Internet.
Senior Director Business Development at Akamai (2003-2007)
Led business development relationships and integration of acquired technologies into Akamai product portfolio.
- Developed strategic partnerships with large enterprises, such as Apple, Microsoft, and Adobe to bring high quality content delivery to the Web.
Director Product Marketing and Management at Akamai (1999-2003)
Team lead of multiple products through product lifecycle, i.e. performed market research and analysis, proposed and executed product strategy and plan, created product positioning, executed press outreach, product profitability management, facilitated sales training, supported sales in key accounts, and supported operations teams.
- Product launches included Akamai’s first commercial product, FreeFlow, as well as launches of EdgeScape (IP geo-location), Enhanced DNS (authoritative DNS) and Akamai’s then most successful product – EdgeSuite (full content delivery including streaming, dynamic web pages, and software downloads).
- Introduced Content Delivery to early website developers and operators that required Web scalability.
Sr. Manager Professional Services at Verizon Business (1998-1999)
Led Web Site Management Group (WSMG) Professional Services team offering enterprise customers with custom design, development, and implementation services for their hosted web sites.
Technology Manager at Accenture (Andersen Consulting) (1993-1998)
- Manager, Communications Industry Group; managed requirements team for key features of Iridium Project.
- Manager, Technology Group for Verizon LiveWire Project.
- Software development; developed testing tools and operations architecture for large distributed application.
- Software design; designed interface to AT&T Test Data Integration Layer (TDIL) system and parts of interface to Bellcore Service Order Assignment and Control (SOAC) system.
- Team Lead; Led team in testing distributed system; defined test model and managed test cycle execution.
- System and Network Administration; oversaw mixed environment of UNIX and Windows workstations.
- George Mason University
- BS, MIS with honors
- Mobile and server side application development
- Finding new technologies that help developers create great products more quickly